I am a BIG fan of Mangoes and I especially love them in the traditional curry. This is my go-to curry with rice. Trust me, if you love mangoes, you are going to love this. So here is the Konkani Style Mango Curry Recipe.
Ingredients for the Konkani Mango Curry
6 Ripe Mangoes (fibrous smaller variety suits best)
1/2 cup Jaggery, powdered (adjust to the sweetness of mangoes)
2 Green Chillies (adjust to taste)
1 teaspoon Ghee or coconut oil
2 Dry Red Chillies
1/2 teaspoon White Urad Dal (Split)
1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
How to make the Delicious Mango Curry?
- To begin making Konkani Style Mango Curry, wash mangoes well. Peel the skin with your hands. Some mango pulp will be adhering to the skin; that is ok; it will not go to waste.
- Place the peeled mango in a saucepan and the peels in a bowl.
- Add water, about 1/4 cup to the bowl with the mango peels, just enough that they are dipped in water.
- Keep squeezing the peels well in the bowl with your hands to remove the pulp still sticking to it as much as possible.
- Transfer this water to the saucepan containing the peeled ripe mangoes.
- Add slit green chilies to the mangoes in the saucepan. Heat on medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduces the heat and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes until the mangoes are cooked well and become soft; about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add jaggery to taste along with some salt; adjust to suit your taste; mix well.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes or more until you get your desired consistency.
- Now, it is time to season or temper the curry.
- In a small saucepan, heat ghee. Once the ghee is hot, add mustard seeds and when they start to splutter and crackle, add some curry leaves, dry red chilies, and thing.
- Immediately add to the curry and give it a good stir.
- Sweet, tangy, and exotic Konkani Style Mango Curry is ready.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SIMPLE FOODIE COMMUNITY