Baingan bharta is a dish from the Indian subcontinent. It is a vegetarian dish that is prepared by mincing eggplant that is grilled over charcoal or direct fire to give a smoky flavour. It is similar to mashed potatoes. It is also called Mashed Aubergine Recipe, Mashed Eggplant Recipe, or Mashed Brinjal Recipe. It is also called Egg plant curry or Smoky Egg plant Stir Fry. Today, I bring to you my first recipe on Simple Food & Reviews and I am so excited for you all to read this Easy Baingan Bharta Recipe.
Serves 3-4 pax
Ingredients for Baingan Bharta Recipe
- Aubergine 3 pcs. (make sure to use the big ones)
- Garlic 9 cloves. (keeps the vampires away)
- Onion 1 pc (preferably medium).
- Tomato 1 pc.
- Green chili 3-4 pcs.
- Mustard seeds 1 Tsp.
- Cumin seeds 1 Tsp.
- Mustard oil 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Kashmiri red chili powder 1 tsp (if you’re a mangii [Mangalorean] like me you know it’s going to be none other than bafat powder instead)
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp.
- Coriander powder 1 Tbsp.
- Butter 1 Tsp (“it makes everything butter”)
- Fresh coriander (for garnish)
How to make Baingan Bharta?
- Start off by poking holes in the aubergine and stuffing one garlic clove in each hole.
- Rub the aubergine with mustard oil.
- P.S if you don’t like mustard oil use regular oil, but trust me it makes a lot of difference in the flavor.
- Now, roast the aubergine on an open flame or red hot coals.
- Wait for the skin to completely burn. In other words, wait until the aubergine becomes nice and soft.
- Remove the burnt skin and chop the aubergine with the garlic inside until it resembles baby food.
- Take a pan and heat butter and a touch of oil to prevent the butter from burning.
- Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and let it crackle like you don’t care and put your hands in the air.
- Now add the finely chopped onion and green chili and let the aroma fill the air.
- Once the onions are nice and translucent add all the spices and salt.
- Let the spices cook for 10 mins then add the tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes are nice and soft add the chopped aubergine and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander. Serve it with soft and hot rotis or bread.
I hope you enjoyed reading this Easy Baingan Bharta Recipe. Incase you try it at home, do let me know how it turned out in the comments. This is Elvis signing out for today. See you in my next recipe.
By Elvis Lobo